My take on this, the Survival loadout.
A couple of operational constraints:
- I work in a corporate setting in full business dress.
- I commute from ‘burb to ‘burb everyday, no highway route, about 20 miles.
- My objective with regard to any challenge would be to get home, not get into a firefight.
- Interdiction is always a possibility.
- There is a larger kit with more comprehensive gear in my truck.
- There is a list of EDC items on my person that compliment the following kit…
I’ll start with the container. Cheap, simple, rugged, water & air tight. Otterbox.
About $11 shipped from somewhere online. Use your GoogleFu. In all honesty it would be a bit better if it were about one inch deeper. I’m sure they make one of those. When I ordered this, it was an afterthought. I had intended to use it for something completely different. Hindsight being 20/20 and all.
Contents are simple:
- Two CR-123’s as these are the primary batteries for every light I have, including the ones on my weapons. My current EDC light is a 4Sevens, Quarkx123 Tactical. Don’t let the tacticool bit fool you. I could care less about that stuff. The difference with this light is a programming feature that allows for illumination settings to be stored on bezel positions. Very useful.
- One, KCI Glock mag with 124-gr JHPs.
- Twenty odd feet of 550 cord and a ring.
- Light My Fire Ferro Rod with a secondary ferro from an ESEE survival kit.
- Opinel Number 9 carbon steel folder – about $10 and one seriously capable blade.
Below is a shot of the packed kit.
Complete? Nope. Does it work for me? Yep. With my EDC gear and this, I could get home. That’s the goal. Could it stand a revision, say, addition of water purification tabs? Probably. I have some. I will likely shoehorn them in at some point.
Again, this is about complimenting what’s on my person, and giving me assets to help me get home, or get to the bigger kit in my truck.
I hope some of you find this info useful. There will be a series of posts soon that will detail the EDC pack loadout, the truck kit, and to satisfy a request from Mr. Kerodin, a SHTF E&E kit with weapons.